Sunday, September 11, 2011

What's Paulie Thinking?


Sorry for the lack of posts lately - school's back in session. Here are some things I've been thinking about, and hope to elaborate on in the not too distant future:

1. As mentioned in Paintings I Like #70, I've been very preoccupied with 20th century painters who weren't specifically adhering to Modernism (this does not include painters who were merely doing a parody of it). I think the upcoming DeKooning retrospective at MoMA will be a great time to pick this discussion up. I've also been thinking about the '80's painters, Morandi, and the Germans.

2. In 1984, Lyotard pointed out that the easiest way to simulate an avant-garde gesture is to make something that no one can understand. I've seen this strategy quite a lot in the last ten or fifteen years. It's also sparked a secondary industry of mediator-interpreters to help explain all this turgid art to a bewildered viewing public.

3. In 1790, Kant pointed out that the easiest way to simulate originality is to do something strange (pretty prescient for 1790, yes?). This is another strategy I've seen employed quite a lot since the '90's. If I were to sculpt genitals out of Velveeta, it would be fairly original in the strictest sense, but really, who fucking cares?