Sunday, November 7, 2010

I Love Her Still!



O Sadness! Regret! Anger! O thank heavens I had Blame covered in the Exacta, Trifecta, and Superfecta pools!

I don't care if she lost one, they should still give her Horse of the Year for her stellar six-year-old campaign - although I will have to admit that Blame strengthened his own case for HOTY honors with this victory; he's had a hell of a year, too. That said, it would be criminal if she lost yet another borderline call - she may well become the Susan Lucci of the Eclipse Awards!

I would be remiss if I didn't cover the dust-up between jockeys Calvin Borel and Javier Castellano after the Breeder's Cup Marathon on Friday. Coming off of the final turn, Castellano, riding Prince Will I Am, checked Romp so hard that jockey Martin Garcia nearly fell off the horse. Romp in turn bumped A.U. Miner with Borel aboard, forcing him to steady. After the race, the generally jovial Borel attacked Castellano, throwing punches and yelling "I'm going to kill you!" repeatedly; it apparently took six people to hold him back. Good heavens! The Churchill Downs stewards are expected to come to a decision today regarding penalties and fines for the two jockeys.

Also, apologies for steering people to the wrong network on Friday - in my race analysis, I said that the BC Classic was going to be on NBC when in fact it was shown on ESPN - I hope no one missed the race on my account.