Friday, June 5, 2009

Paulie's Picks, Belmont, 6/6/09

Mine That Bird, above, asks: "Who, me?"

I, like many others, never saw Mine That Bird coming in the Derby. I, like many others, thought the Derby was a fluke and he would finish close to last in the Preakness. I, like many others, saw him closing on Rachel Alexandra at the line and realized he had actually come to hand. I, like many others, was late to the party at every juncture.

So I'm afraid my big Belmont Stakes analysis doesn't yield up anything especially original - I like the favorite and I like the the second and third choices to follow him home (the latter two in reverse order of their odds - bold on my part, no?).

The only horse that constitutes an interesting longshot is Flying Private, who rounded out the superfecta in the Preakness and posted his first three-digit speed figure - something many horses in this race have never done. I'll toss him into some gimmick bets and hope for the best.

Here are Paulie's picks for tomorrow's card (13 races!) at Belmont Park:

1st race:
4 - Borrowing Limit
9 - Blow Up
1 - Dixieland Star

2nd race:
6 - Much the Best
7 - Just Ben
3 - Speight of Hand

3rd race:
2 - Convocation
10 - Allrightsreserved
4 - Empirior

4th race:
2 - Expansion
4 - Uncle Indy
8 - Blazing Dynamo

5th race:
10 - Sette E Mezzo
3 - Get Stormy
4 - So It Goes

6th race, The True North Handicap, G2:
6 - Fabulous Strike
1 - Benny the Bull
2 - Silver Edition

7th race, The Just a Game, G1:
5 - Forever Together
8 - My Princess Jess
7 - Diamondrella

8th Race, The Woody Stephens, G2:
1a - Everday Heroes
8 - Hull
2 - This One's for Phil

9th race, The Acorn, G1:
8 - Justwhistledixie
7 - Dream Play
1 - Casanova Move

10th race, The Manhattan Handicap, G1:
1 - Court Vision
2 - Champs Elysees
12 - Cowboy Cal

11th race, The Belmont Stakes, G1:
7 - Mine That Bird
2 - Dunkirk
6 - Charitable Man

12th race:
6 - Globemaster
1 - Storm Hope
8 - Four Star General

13th race:
4 - Manchild
12 - Golden Guska
2 - Driven by Royal

Tune in tomorrow night for results.