Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Paintings I Like, pt. 6

Diego Velazquez, Juan de Pareja, 1650. Oil on canvas, 32" x 28."

Edouard Manet, Mademoiselle V... in the Costume of an Espada, 1862. Oil on canvas, 65" x 50."

Last week I was going through some of my papers from Hunter, and came across something I wrote in 1999 about Velazquez' influence on Manet - 4 years before the Metropolitan put up their blockbuster on this same theme. The paper is centered around these two pictures, both in the permanent collection at the Met. I really like these paintings.

Click here to read or download the essay in pdf format. Warning: it's 12 pages plus footnotes. There's a plus for all the NYC readers, though: one of the limitations I gave myself was to only discuss pictures I could go see, and most are at the Met (one is at the Frick). Print the paper, take it to the Met, and if you think I'm full of it feel free to post your bile right here on my blog.