Saturday, March 10, 2007

Personality Crisis

Personality Crisis, 2005. Acrylic on panel, 8.5" x 10.5."

Since grad school, I've always made paintings in series. There are essentially three stages to this process (for me, anyway): First is experimentation, studies, throwing things in the trash, etc., then at some point I'll hit upon something - a eureka type of moment (but these are often false starts, and then back to step one), and then finally development and variation. A lot of painters stay in the variation mode for many years, and there's a lot to be said for this: you can really develop an idea in a complete and nuanced way if you stick with for a very long period of time.

But When I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself, I try and develop something new. It's not that I'm a dilettante (at least I don't think I am), it's just that I'm determined to find a new way to paint all of the time. I'm in experimentation mode now, and it's a rotten, keep-me-up-at-night type of process. I have no plans to change my working method, but I would like it to be a little less wrenching.

Today, however, a break from all this artistic agony. I'm going to the track!